Sunday, June 27, 2010

HOLY GOD....Someone died in the marathon!! 0_o

OKay, i remember Tiffany telling that she saw someone screaming 'HE HAS NO PULSE' when she was running through her 8th km during yesterday's run.
I don't really know about the details because I believe i was already near the finishing line that time, but she kinda witnessed something tragic and well, in a way...scary..=_=

yes, there was a casualty during the run yesterday. A runner of the 10km category had a seizure and collapse, and medics didn't come immediately. It was a good and salutable attempt by the other runners to revive the collapsed runner but unfortunately it was too late. There was apparently a doctor in training who was also a participant. He and a few others tried to revive him but due to the lack of machinery (no defibrillator, no Oxygen mask..nothing) he passed away on the way to the hospital (or was it upon arrival)

It was indeed a shocking news to me, i didn't expect something that i participated in would have this outcome.
In fact, my situation wasn't that good if i think back. I was actually having cold sweat at the end of the run (about the 8th km) because of abdominal pain. I started walking, then run and then slowed down to walk. I told myself ' I do not want to come back to the finishing line in a stretcher or an ambulance '
Yeah well, it was kinda disappointing if you asked me. The reason for this failure of mine was because there wasn't enough trainning prior to the run. HECK, we didn't even do any stretching and warm up....

BUT ANYWAYS, RIP Mr Lim. (yes, it appeared in the papers, that's how i know his name)
he was only 25 years old.
I believe IMHO, both sides were to be blamed for this scenario. Firstly the Organizers of this event didn't station enough medics throughout the running route. Compared to the Energizer night race, i could barely see any medics around. And the St John's ambulance, well, it's disappointing to know that there weren't any defibrillator nor oxygen mask in the vehicle. (what's the point of the ambulance then!?)
HOWEVER, one should know his own limitations as well. IF you can't do it, do not force yourself. I'm not sure about Mr. Lim's case (he could've been an extremely athletic person or this could be his first time running a 10km run..note that i do not know much about this guy. I only read about him in the papers and forums)
My condolences goes out to his family because as a runner myself, i could understand the feelings of the family members. To leave the house so early in the morning and never coming back.......It will be heart wrenching to the family members.

THOUGH, i'll still join the runs. I have SIEMEN's and SHAPE run next and the last run for this year (for me) would be the Adidas KOTR challenge. After that i'll stop for the year (to concentrate on others stuffs....*coughscosplaycoughs*)

Listening to : Janne Da Arc - Gekkoka
Mood : -_-


No comments: